Winter is here, and what better way to warm up from the cold then in a cosy pub? Nowhere does pubs quite like Cumbria, with chilly fell-walkers warming by open-fires, wonderful local ales, and cheery atmospheres! It’s been a hard task, but I’ve taken one for the team and visited a number of our local watering-holes to give you a little guide to my top 5!
5. The Kirkstone Pass Inn – the UKs 4th highest pub, sat at the top of the Kirkstone Pass between Ambleside and Patterdale. The situation feels remote, which makes the inside feel even cosier, especially when the fire is roaring. The welcoming lights serve as a promising beacon to walkers and motorists alike as they come through the clouds at this heady altitude!
4. The Badger Bar – located on the Ambleside to Rydal Road, the Badger Bar offers a cosy bar where old pictures of the area adorn the walls, and wonky tables and bar stools are scattered around, it’s a “proper” pub! They offer at least 4 locally brewed real ales, and one of the best pies in the area!
3. Crafty Baa – this award-winning (no less than the AA Best Pub in England award!) is situated in Windermere and popular among locals and tourists alike. They offer the largest choice of craft beers and ales that I have ever seen, more then one should dare to be under-take in one evening! What makes this place even better is the tasty sharing platters of meats and cheeses, which help absorb a little of the alcohol!
2. The Britannia (Elterwater) – a perennial favourite among all folk, this is the go-to place, whether you need a quick refreshment mid-walk, or a good rest at the end of the day. They serve great pub-grub, local ales, and service always comes with a smile. There’s a lovely atmosphere, where tales of the days’ adventures are shared among friends, and red-faced cheeks beam throughout!
1. The Golden Rule (Ambleside) – this has to be my all time favourite pub, ever, hands-down! It’s a proper, how-they-used-to-be pub, which fills me with nostalgia! There’s no food served here, it’s just a good, old-fashioned, drinking pub. If you can’t decide which ale to choose from, opt for the beer bat (3 x 1/3 pint). There’s a roaring fire, and laughter echoes around the walls…
Right, I’m off! See you there?!!